These vegetarian gluten-free zucchini carrot tots are a flavourful change from standard potato tots and a whole bunch more nutritious. Give them a try!
- Cooking Spray
- 1 packed cup of grated zucchini
- ½ packed cup of grated carrots
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup grated cheese cheddar or your choice of medium cheese that will melt
- 1/3 cup of gluten free flour such as tapioca or rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt to “sweat” the vegetables
- 1 teaspoon of Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp of Thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed
- ½ tsp of Cayenne pepper optional
Preheat oven to 400F (or 204C). Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray or cover with nonstick foil.
Grate the zucchini and carrots and mix together with 1 teaspoon of salt and let rest for 30 minutes in a sieve or fine colander. Massage the mixture to mix the salt. This will help release the liquid from the mixture and let it drip out. If you are in a hurry, squeeze the mixture to wring out the excess water.
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients including the other teaspoon of salt. Mix thoroughly.
Use a tablespoon or ¼ cup measuring cup to measure out the mixture. Roll into small circles or ovals. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, turning them over half way through cooking to assure proper baking.
Serve hot by itself or with roasted sweet peppers for a vegetarian meal or along with other meat or protein for non-vegetarian meals.