Comforting Chili with “Sausage”
Comforting Chili with “Sausage”
Indulge in the ultimate comfort food experience with our delectable "Comforting Chili with 'Sausage'". You won't believe the umami-packed, beefy flavor and chewy texture of this chili, balanced by spicy and smoky notes and a rich tomato sauce, all with a satisfying kick from red pepper flakes. What's more, this hearty chili is not only lower in calories than traditional beef chili, but it's also packed with fiber and protein from beans and homemade plant-based sausage, boasting zero cholesterol and a healthy dose of calcium and potassium. With a yield of 12 servings and a total cooking time of just 30 minutes, this recipe is a breeze to prepare. So, grab your large pot, knife, and spatula, and get ready to savor the warmth and goodness of a comforting bowl of chili that's perfect for any occasion. Don't forget to check out our Spicy Plant-Based Sausage recipe to complete the experience. Your taste buds and your health will thank you!
Flavours: Umami (beefy) aromas and chewy texture will have you swear it is beef, balanced by the spicy and smoky notes and rich tomato sauce. Don’t forget the kick from the red pepper flakes.
Benefits: Lower in calories than beef chili but filling with the beans and soy curls. It is high in fibre and protein with zero-cholesterol and a good dose of calcium and potassium.
- 1 medium (224 g) onion, diced fine
1 tsp tamari
- 1 small (50 g) carrot, grated fine
- 4 oz (112 g) cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp (18 g) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch allspice (optional)
- 3 tbsp (18 g) chili powder
- 30 oz (840 g) canned no salt cherry tomatoes or other diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (473 ml) unsalted vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup (240 g) plant-based sausage (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup (59 ml) fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 12 oz (336 g) unsalted beans (black, pinto or other)
- ⅓ cup (35 g) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp (4 g) ground mustard
- 3 tbsp (18 g) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (7 g) red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 small (125 g) onion, diced fine
- 8 oz (224 g) soy curls
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp (14 ml) tomato paste
- ½ (60 g) medium tomato, diced fine
- 2 tbsp (28 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground fennel (optional)
- 1 tsp dried hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Smoky Sweet Spice mix
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg or mace
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
Spicy Plant Based Sausage
Smoky Sweet Spice Mix
- Place diced onion, tamari and carrot in a large pot over medium high heat and sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add 1-2 tbsp water as needed. Add mushrooms, smoked paprika, thyme, allspice and chili powder and cook for 3-5 minutes more. It should be fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for about 15-20 minutes over medium heat. Add more spices or lemon juice as needed to achieve desired flavour. Add additional water to achieve desired thickness. Serve hot with garnishes of avocado, diced cherry tomatoes, or diced onions.
Add soy curls into a bowl and add two cups of water to cover them and let them fully hydrate. Set aside for 10 minutes and check to see that they are soft and spongy. Discard remaining water. Shred the curls until they are in bite-sized pieces.
Place a tbsp of tamari in a hot skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add a tbsp of water as needed to keep from burning. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together and cook for 10 minutes. Use in Comforting Chili recipe.
Mix spices in a small bowl and set aside. This recipe makes extra and can be kept in a container for a month or more.
Chili Equipment: Large pot, sharp knife, grater, measuring cups, measuring spoons, spatula
Spicy Plant Based Sausage Equipment: Mixing bowls, non-stick skillet, garlic press