Lemon Blueberry Gluten Free Muffins
- 2 cups of oat flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature adjust as needed based on moisture of batter up to ½ cup
- 1 cup of granulated sugar or 3 scoops of Monkfruit or equivalent Stevia
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest + ½ tsp for decorating finished muffins
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup of whole milk at room temperature
- 1 cup of blueberries fresh or frozen and extra for decoration on top of muffins
- Whipped cream or vegan whipped cream for top
Preheat oven to 350F or 177C
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In another small bowl, combine sugar (or Monkfruit or Stevia powder) and lemon zest. Rub the sugar (or monkfruit) and lemon zest together with your fingers until fragrant.
Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Gently stir in the blueberries careful not to burst them.
Divide evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre come out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Once muffins are cool, put whipped cream on and decorate with more blueberries and powdered sugar if desired and lemon zest.
If you do not have oat flour on hand, take rolled oats (preferably organic) and grind them in a coffee grinder of a food processor until they are fairly fine. It will not be as fine as milled flour. That is ok.
If eggs are cold, put them in lukewarm water for a few minutes to warm them up to room temperature.
If you can get wild blueberries, they are the more tasty and always organic if you can find them.
Inspiration from https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com which is a wheat-based recipe.