Low Sugar Cranberry Orange Date Bread – (modification to my mother’s recipe) is updated to reduce the sugar and add some punch with the finely diced dates as the sweetener. The fresh cranberries add real flavour along with the fresh squeezed orange juice. I threw some extra cranberries and nuts on top to add some extra looks.. Chop some cranberries in half and throw them down for the photo. Enjoy.
- 2 cup of flour 256 grams
- ½ cup to ¾ cup of finely diced dates or 1 cup of sugar 227 grams
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped cranberries I added ¼ cup more for the top of the bread (100 to 125 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup softened butter unsalted (68 grams)
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup orange juice fresh squeezed if possible 249 to 275 grams if too dry
- 1 egg well beaten
- ½ cup nuts pecans or walnuts etc optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (175 degrees Celsius)
Sift together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. In a separate small bowl combine orange juice and well beaten egg. Pour the liquid mixture all at once into the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to dampen and mix in all the flour. Carefully fold in cranberries and dates (and nuts if using). Spoon into greased loaf 9”x5” loaf pan.
Spread corners and sides slightly higher than center, as the center will rise higher in the center of the loaf. Sprinkle some cranberries and nuts on top of the loaf.
Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out dry from the center of the loaf. Cool completely before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or powdered stevia and cut cranberries for decoration.